Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Selling Safety & Speakers

We recently had our appointment with Guardian.  They handle the security system and apparently found a niche in "low-voltage wiring solutions."  Most people would know this as cable. Ryan Homes, in their incredible generosity, offered us 8 of these cables, plus the panel, free of charge.  Unfortunately, we have more than 8 places where we need data/cable.  Enter the extras.  Since apparently smart tv's work better when they're hard-wired, we decided to use the Cat-5e cable in the areas where we'll get the most use out of such devices.  I'm quite sure I don't exactly understand all of the details but I am sure I want reliable internet when I'm working from the house.  Apparently we're also taking a step back in time and getting a land line in J's office too.  I'm not sure we need one but it's a good place to send telemarketers to when I sign up for things.

We decided that we only need our great room pre-wired for the wall-hung tv.  Expensive but it'll be more attractive than wires on the wall.  That look will win no design awards.  We nixed the pre-wire in the basement since the wall behind the tv is open due to us leaving the exercise room unfinished.  I'm confident we can install a cable splitter and add an electrical outlet on our own.  We hold multiple degrees between the two of us & are both enginerds.

Surround sound earned me the nickname "Dreamcrusher."  I may get that air-brushed on a shirt.  We decided beforehand to visit the Bose outlet upon completion of the house & get a wireless system for the basement.  We still had both the Bose & Klipsch options priced out, "just in case."  The Bose clocked in at $5000 or so & I told the guy it was safe to remove.  J looked at me, made a fist, sighed and hissed "Dreamcrusher."  It was highly entertaining.  For the record, he can still have his wireless Bose system.

We did opt for the 2-room in-ceiling speakers - LyriQ.  These are cool since we took the option where we can plug in a normal device (i.e. tv) and pump the sound to the morning room & great room.  Kinda like poor man's surround sound, even though I was told repeatedly that wasn't how it works.  I think it'll be awesome for dinner music & when I want to cook & watch the Steelers but don't want to blast the sound from the tv.  We didn't expect to take this option but it happened all the same.

Security...they make an offer that's VERY difficult to refuse.  Basically, they install the system for $250 and you sign a monthly contract.  We picked the mid-level plan and did go for 60 months for "price certainty."  J asked me if we REALLY needed security...um, yes.  I get creeped out by weird noises easily.  And it's not a little house.  We might be building in a really nice hood but there's a strip of woods that are right behind us, never to be developed.  I saw one too many episodes of "Unsolved Mysteries" as a youth so my imagination runs away from me.  I at least want notified that the bad guys are in the house so I have time to sick the attack cats on them.  Apparently that logic makes me "completely ridiculous."  Whatever...happy wife, happy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment